[texhax] The fundamental problem ...

Pierre MacKay pierre.mackay at comcast.net
Sun Jun 26 07:22:59 CEST 2011

On 06/25/2011 08:29 PM, Peter Davis wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 8:45 PM, Donald Arseneau <asnd at triumf.ca
> <mailto:asnd at triumf.ca>> wrote:
>
>     Peter Davis <pfd at pfdstudio.com <mailto:pfd at pfdstudio.com>> writes:
>
>     > The flowfram package comes pretty close to what I need, but it
>     still has two
>     > limitations that would be difficult to work around:
>     > 1) if it overflows a frame in the middle of a paragraph, and the
>     following
>     > frame has a different width, the end of that paragraph will be
>     set at the
>     > width of the first frame, not the second.
>
>     You'll have to keep travk of line-counts and usr \parshape.
>

> Thanks, Donald, but I don't see how \parshape let's me know how much
> of the text fit on a line (or set of lines).  I can work out that the
> height of a box divided by the baselineskip tells me how many lines
> will fit, but how can I determine what text has to overflow into the
> next box?
My own practice is to put each entry in the table into a \vtop box with
a specified \hsize. That accommodates lines that have to be broken, and
pushes the next complete line of the table down to an acceptable position.

I should note that I never use \halign, only \settabs, which is much
more flexible.  \halign was meant for matrix algebra and should probably
be reserved for that.

Pierre MacKay