[texhax] Hebrew fonts with XeLaTeX

Moshe Kamensky moshe.kamensky at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 27 15:30:49 CET 2011

Hi there,

I am trying write a document in Hebrew, using XeLaTeX. Things mostly
seem to work, except for some issues which, I think, are related to
fonts.

I tried using either the Cardo or the Ezra SIL fonts, both of which I
found recommended in various place on the web. The main problem is that
I cannot get bold and italic text to work. In fact, it seems that the
whole text is in bold. Commands like \emph and \textbf seem to have no
effect. In the log file I see:

(fontspec)  <->"Ezra SIL/ICU:script=hebr;language=DFLT;"

 fontspec info: Could not resolve font Ezra SIL/B (it probably doesn't exist).

 fontspec info: Could not resolve font Ezra SIL/I (it probably doesn't exist).

 fontspec info: Could not resolve font Ezra SIL/BI (it probably doesn't
 exist).

And later:

LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `EU1/EzraSIL(0)/bx/n' undefined
(Font)              using `EU1/EzraSIL(0)/m/n' instead on input line 179.

LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `EU1/EzraSIL(0)/m/sc' undefined
(Font)              using `EU1/EzraSIL(0)/m/n' instead on input line 181.

LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `EU1/EzraSIL(0)/m/it' undefined
(Font)              using `EU1/EzraSIL(0)/m/n' instead on input line 196.

LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `EU1/EzraSIL(0)/bx/it' undefined
(Font)              using `EU1/EzraSIL(0)/bx/n' instead on input line 207.

Which seems to suggest that these variants don't exist. So my questions
here are, whether they really don't exist, or should I use some
different commands? And if they don't exist, is there some other Hebrew
font where they do exist? Is there a way to "produce" bold and italic
variants? Also, is there a way to make the normal text less bold? As it
is, it is very hard to visually spot the theorems, proofs, etc.

Another issue, which I believe is also font related, is that the space
between the lines is very uneven, depending on whether I have some math
or English text in the adjacent lines. Is there a way to fix it?

Thanks,
Moshe