[texhax] table caption

Joe P King jp at joepking.com
Sun Feb 13 00:43:20 CET 2011

Ok so another question, I am having trouble with titles again but this is a
table caption, I am trying to have the table title be right above (without
vertical space) on top of and flush left of the table, the table is flush
left to the page. I tried using multicolumn but the caption will go past the
right side of the title and it extends the table too far out. Heres an
example:

\documentclass[letterpaper,12pt]{article}

\usepackage[american]{babel}

\usepackage{csquotes}

\usepackage[style=apa]{biblatex}

\usepackage{fancyhdr} %Used for headers and footers.

\usepackage{amsmath} %Must have for writing equations

\usepackage{graphicx} % accepts png and pdf graphics

\usepackage{verbatim} %Used for commenting out as well as putting in
verbatim notes

\usepackage{listings} %Similar to Verbatim, can import R code with this
package

\usepackage[font=normal,format=plain,up,justification=justified,singlelinech
eck=true]{caption}

\usepackage[lmargin=1.0in,
rmargin=1.0in,tmargin=1.0in,bmargin=1.0in]{geometry}

\usepackage[small,compact]{titlesec}

\renewcommand\headrulewidth{0pt}

\tolerance = 1500 %

\hyphenpenalty=10000

\linespread{1}

\voffset=-.75in

\pagestyle{fancy} % Determines basic page format; often refers to headers
and footers

\titleformat{\section}{\normalfont\bfseries\centering}{}{0em}{}

\titleformat{\subsection}{\normalfont\bfseries\centering}{}{0em}{}

\titleformat{\paragraph}{\normalfont\bfseries\centering}{}{0em}{}

\titlespacing*{\section}{0em}{-1pt}{0em}

\titlespacing*{\subsection}{0em}{0em}{0em}

\titlespacing*{\paragraph}{0em}{0em}{0em}

\begin{table}[t]

\caption{title}

\begin{tabular}{lllllll}

\hline

\multicolumn{3}{c}{small column}\\

\hline

\multicolumn{3}{c}{variables}\\

\hline

V1 & v2 & v3\\

1 & 1 & 2\\

2 & 1 & 2\\

3 & 1 & 2\\

\hline

\end{tabular}

\label{Table 1}

\end{table}

Joe King, M.A.

Ph.D. Student

University of Washington - Seattle

206-913-2912

 <mailto:jp at joepking.com> jp at joepking.com

Ad astra per aspera  - "Through hardships to the stars"