[texhax] Running LaTex in xp pro w/ open office

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue Feb 1 18:38:32 CET 2011

On Feb 1, 2011, at 8:34 AM, Robert Hauser wrote:

> TYhe reason I downloaded LaTex in the first place was for their supposed ease in writing mathematical relationships...what good is that if they have to first be typed up in something like Open Office or DOS?

You might want to try LyX (which is a graphic front-end to LaTeX). It has an equation editor:

http://www.lyx.org

If you have access to a graphics tablet or Tablet PC you might want to try MathJournal:

http://www.xthink.com/MathJournal.html

which can export to LaTeX.

Other tools to look at include:

http://www.inftyproject.org/en/software.html
http://research.cs.queensu.ca/drl/ffes/

I would strongly recommend that you read _Math into LaTeX_:

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/mil/mil.pdf

and also review this web page:

http://tug.org/begin.html

William