[texhax] Fwd: kerTeX: TeX and al. under BSD license

Martin Schröder martin at oneiros.de
Mon Dec 19 20:38:48 CET 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From:  <tlaronde at polynum.com>
Date: 2011/12/19
Subject: kerTeX: TeX and al. under BSD license
To: ports at openbsd.org

[I have set the reply-to since I'm not subscribed to the list.]

Hello,

I have created a TeX and al. distribution, pure C89 under a BSD like
license, that has been tested under NetBSD and Plan9; has been reported
to compile under Linux and FreeBSD, and should simply compile
everywhere.

It is light. Has all the latest versions of Donald E. Knuth's programs
and fonts, plus Tomas Rockiki's dvips(1), John Hobby's MetaPost,
Oren Patashnik's bibtex(1), the AMS fonts and more.

One can compile the LaTeX package with it (see the README/LISEZ.MOI).

The programs depend on strictly nothing except the standard C library.

It is a matter of less than 10Mb to download for sources. A matter of
typically less than 5 minutes to compile; less than 5 minutes to install
including the generation of fonts etc.

I have extracted the needles from the haystack. It should be now
maintainable because it holds in one's hand (this is the meaning of the
original french work : "maintenable"). And since there is less code and
it is organized, it should be a better choice for security.

Since I'm reaching the 1.0 target (the only remaining thing to do is add
back the X11 display rendering for METAFONT), I think it's time for
kerTeX to be more widely known.

The package uses my own framework: R.I.S.K. to do cross-compilation and
customization. It should be trivial to add a parameter file for an
OpenBSD support.

It's here:

http://www.kergis.com/en/kertex.html

and please do download and read! the README.

Cheers,
                     http://www.kergis.com/
Key fingerprint = 0FF7 E906 FBAF FE95 FD89  250D 52B1 AE95 6006 F40C