[texhax] TeX Live Flash (was August 2011 TUG news)

uwe.lueck at web.de uwe.lueck at web.de
Fri Aug 19 00:40:25 CEST 2011

"Karl Berry" <karl at freefriends.org>
>     I am wondering whether it makes sense to offer the TeX Collection
>     (partially) on USB sticks rather than DVD.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> In principle I have nothing against it, but it would take significant
> time to create it, both technically and administratively.

Right, and Reinhard has discussed this in more detail.

So to get the stick, one should pay more money than for the DVD.
And you may ship only 10 or less sticks for every 100 DVDs.
And I suggested that this may rather be a service from a more
commercial online shop than from a TUG directly.

On the other hand (I guess),
-- a stick does not break as easily as a DVD
   (I am especially thinking of one of my SanDisks
    clothed in transparent rubber)
-- more sticks will fit into a certain box size than DVDs
-- a single stick may be shipped in a small pocket that fits into my mailbox
   while a DVD will not (together with my newspaper).

... just some ideas.

Cheers,

    Uwe.