[texhax] (OT) English native speaker needed -- translation problem

Haines Brown haines at histomat.net
Wed Apr 6 15:52:23 CEST 2011

On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 03:13:16PM +0200, Susan Dittmar wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> I need help with a small matter of how to phrase something "correcly".
> It will be part of a highly official document, and I feel quite
> uncomfortable with the translation we paid for with respect to this little
> thing. I am sure one of you can help me.
>
> How would one write---as short as possible---"on page 31 and those
> following"?
>
> In German, this would be "Seite 31 ff".

Susan, I understood your question a little differently than the
replies you've received so far. If it is how to say "on page 31 and
those following" as briefly as possible without abbreviations, then it
could be "on page 31 and following". Your translation seems to be good
English, but the "those" seems a bit unconventional and redundant. It
also appears to be conventional to reduce it in some contexts even
more as ", 31 and following", with "on page" implied, but I'm not sure
of its propriety in formal English. I'm a native American "English"
speaker.

There seems to be no consensus on whether in English numbers should be
written out rather than expressed as digits. One rule is that any
number after ten or twelve should be written out, but there's another
convention that says that any number that can be conveyed by one or
two words should be written out: "thirty one". But if brevity is the
goal, then there seems nothing wrong with "31". However, my impression
is that in legal documents, it would be written out.

Haines