[texhax] adapting a "vanilla" latex file to tugboat style

Michael Barnett michaelb at Princeton.EDU
Fri Sep 10 15:33:02 CEST 2010

  Hi:

Karl Berry accepted, for publication in the forthcoming issue of
TUGBoat,  a short note that I have written. Karl offered to put it in
TUGBoat LaTeX style, but I would like to try doing this myself over the
next few days. I think I have until September 15th. If I find I am going
nowhere fast I will be practical and accept Karl's offer, but certainly
prepare my next contribution myself. I have published several papers in
TuGBoat over the years.

The Princeton University Office of Information Technology provide no
support for TeX in any shape form or size. I make considerable use of
LaTeX for other journals, naming my files with extension .tex and
invoking the shellscript pdflatex.

I just cut and paste the text file with url
http://tug.org/TUGboat/sampleart.ltx into a Unix window, under the name
sample.ltx, and issued the command line statement

latex sample

The relevant part of the Unix display is

============================

lxiv.Princeton.EDU% latex sample
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
entering extended mode
(/usr/psr.oit/rhel432/2006-2.0/share/texmf/tex/context/sample/sample.tex
LaTeX2e <2003/12/01>
Babel <v3.8d> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german,
ngerman, b
ahasa, basque, bulgarian, catalan, croatian, czech, danish, dutch,
esperanto, e
stonian, finnish, greek, icelandic, irish, italian, latin, magyar,
norsk, polis
h, portuges, romanian, russian, serbian, slovak, slovene, spanish,
swedish, tur
kish, ukrainian, nohyphenation, loaded.
! Undefined control sequence.
l.1 \starttext

I assume I need to include files that are in installation archives. The
HelpDesk consultant who asked where these are told me to email the
question to him to forward to the Unix group. Any suggestions would be
welcome.

Thanks,

Michael Barnett