[texhax] Badly placed \widehat

Steve Schwartz s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Oct 29 18:43:42 CEST 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-29 at 17:28 +0100, Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd)
wrote:

> Michael Barr wrote:
>
> > \documentstyle{article}
> > \def\bbrack#1{[\![#1]\!]}
> > \begin{document}
> > $\bbrack{\widehat c =\widehat d}$
> > \end{document}
> >
> > Yes, I could add extra space after the argument, but that is a real
> > kludge. My real question is why can't I get the \widehat to actually be
> > centered over its argument. As you can see, it starts halfway along the
> > "d" and ends well to the right. This is also true of the one on the "c"
> > so it is not just centering over an ascender.
>
> Is it not centered w.r.t. the italic slope ?

Indeed. Try removing the \bbrack. And to see it better compare:

\widehat{H} and \widehat{\/H} or even worse

\widehat{I} and \widehat{\/I}

So really I think the original question is mis-titled. It should be
"Badly placed right-bracket" which I would be inclined to agree with.

Steve

> ** Phil.
Professor Steven J Schwartz        Phone: +44-(0)20-7594-7660
Head, Space & Atmospheric Physics  Fax:   +44-(0)20-7594-7772
The Blackett Laboratory            E-mail: s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Imperial College London            Office: Huxley 6M67A
London SW7 2AZ, U.K.               Web: www.sp.ph.ic.ac.uk/~sjs