[texhax] [pdftex] TeX as a composition server?

Peter Davis pfd at pfdstudio.com
Sat Oct 23 13:06:28 CEST 2010

Hi, Paul,

Thank you!  I've joined the texhax list.  (Is that pronounced "hack" or
"hacks"?)

Thanks for your replies.  I have some follow-up questions, specifically
about TeX formats (LaTeX, ConTeXt, XeTeX, etc.)  I've actually been a
LaTeX user for years, and written a few of my own macros, mostly cobbled
together from examples I found elsewhere.

The problem I'm now facing is trying to create a server that can produce
results "similar to"[1] InDesign, but much faster.  This would be for
documents already created in InDesign and exported to an XML format, so
the task would be to convert the XML to whatever-TeX (possibly via
XSLT), and then compose the results at a rate of thousands of pages per
minute.  The server would have to support TrueType/OpenType and Type 1
fonts, though I could put off worrying about CID-keyed fonts for a
while.  It *may* be possible to convert any required fonts to T1 format,
and even extract TFM on the fly.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to invoke this server with some style
parameters, box dimensions, and a stream of marked-up text.  The stream
could contain TeX mark-up for changing fonts, color, style, etc.  We'd
like to have something like longtables also.  The server would return
the formatted composed box (in .dvi format?) and a pointer to how much
of the input text stream was able to fit in the box, so that the server
could be re-invoked with another box for overflow.

I don't mind the propsect of writing my own macros, but I don't want to
duplicate features that are already available in some existing format or
package.

Thanks very much!

-pd

[1] I don't have a rigorous definition of "similar to."  The goal is
that an InDesign user should not be surprised by the results.

--
--------
Peter Davis