[texhax] Executing a script with \href{run:script.sh}

James Quirk jjq at galcit.caltech.edu
Tue Oct 19 16:16:15 CEST 2010

Steve,

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010, Steve Schwartz wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 14:33 +0100, James Quirk wrote:
> > > Have you noticed
> > >
> > >     http://ctan.org/pkg/rmannot
> > >
> > >     http://ctan.org/pkg/yt4pdf
> > >
> > > ? Do they help? (I don't want to try myself.)
> > I should point out that Linux Adobe Reader (AR) has severe problems
> > with the the playing of YouTube videos.
>
> I had a quick look at the rmannot web-page, since I have been interested
> in this aspect of latex/pdf presentation for some time. Unfortunately,
> as far as I can tell, the real stumbling block to those of us in the
> linux community is that the pdf creation needs to be done with Acrobat
> Distiller, so there is no way for me to create such a pdf other than
> find a Windows machine, pay for Distiller, gather together all my source
> files, media, files, etc, and do my work in Windows.
No. That's just the way the author of rmannot chose to develop his
package. If all you want to do is embed a SWF then following
is sufficient:

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
\mbox{}
\def\R{\space 0 R}\def\use{\immediate\pdfobj useobjnum}%
\def\my #1 {\pdfobj
reserveobjnum\expandafter\edef\csname#1\endcsname{\the\pdflastobj}}%
\my RMend
\my RMcontent \my RMsettings \my RMconfiguration \my RMinstances \my
RMinstance
\my RMasset   \my RMparams   \my RMbinding       \my RMassets    \my
RMconfigurations
\my RMwindow
\pdfannot width 340pt height 0pt depth 200pt{%
/Subtype/RichMedia/NM (crash)/F 4/RichMediaContent \RMcontent\R
/RichMediaSettings \RMsettings\R
}%
\use\RMcontent   {<</Assets \RMassets\R/Configurations
\RMconfigurations\R>>}%
\use\RMsettings  {<</Activation <<
   /Type/RichMediaActivation/Condition/PO/Configuration
\RMconfiguration\space 0 R
   /Presentation<</Style/Embeddeded>>

>>}%
\use\RMend {
 /Deactivation<<
     /Type/RichMediaDeactivation
     /Condition /XC

}
\use\RMconfiguration {<</Instances \RMinstances\R/Subtype/Flash>>}%
\use\RMinstances {[\RMinstance\R]}%
\use\RMinstance  {<</Asset \RMasset\R /Params \RMparams\R>>}%
\use\RMparams    {<</Binding \RMbinding\R >>}%
\use\RMasset     {<</FS/URL/F(http://www.youtube.com/v/qB8m85p7GsU)>>}%
\use\RMassets    {<</Names[()\RMasset\R]>>}%
\use\RMconfigurations  {[\RMconfiguration\R]}%
\use\RMwindow    {<<>>} %
\end{document}

which plays ``The Colors of Infinty.''

But if you would like to continue the discussion offline,
I can show you what can be done under Linux with a bit
of lateral thinking.

James