[texhax] macron accent with EC font?

Heiko Oberdiek heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com
Sat May 1 00:43:20 CEST 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 04:08:25PM -0600, D. R. Evans wrote:

> I have a document that was originally designed to be used with Knuth fonts.
> In a few places, the text contains an "a" with a bar over it. This was
> achieved in the source, à la TeXbook p. 52, with the command: \=a.
>
> But I am now trying to set this document with Latin Modern, which is EC
> encoded (I _think_ it's the encoding that's causing the problem). The \=a
> command no longer does the right thing :-(

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{lmodern}
\begin{document}
\=a
\end{document}

The PDF file contains the macron accent and the letter a.

The Latin Modern font also contains the right glyph, however,
it's not supported by T1 (or OT1), but L7x font encoding could
be used.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko Oberdiek