[texhax] ! LaTeX error: File 'rcs.sty' not found.

John H Harris jhharris at unencumberedDesign.com
Fri Mar 12 20:51:34 CET 2010

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{rcs}
\begin{document}

I just installed TeXLive 2009 on a Windows XP system. When running
latex.exe on the content of this e-mail, I get

   ! LaTeX error: File 'rcs.sty' not found.

Files like this worked with my previous, TeXLive 2007, distribution.
tlmgr indicates that the rcs package is installed, and searching, I find
it in c:/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex/rcs/ so I am guessing that
there is an environment problem.

My environment Path variable contains "C:\texlive\2009\bin\win32". The
environment also contains TLroot = "C:\TeXLive", which is indeed where I
installed the TeXLive distribution files.

Running with the -kpathsea-debug=-1 option produces the attached file.
The path above does not appear in it, thought variations of
...\examples\rcs\ do.

I'm sutumped; hope you can help.

John H. Harris

Unencumbered Design, LLC
Software design, development, and engineering
572 Union Village Rd
Norwich  VT  05055
43.7437N 72.2942W

UnencumberedDesign.com