[texhax] files related to just-sent email

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Fri Jun 18 01:23:14 CEST 2010

Dan Doernberg wrote:
>> Below are some sample screenshots of the problems that generated the advice above; first are two samples, each of which have "before and after" images showing both our software's rendering and the original text  in Word.
>>

>> Big parentheses problem:

Dan,

Curious that you would come to a TeX list for a question unrelated to
TeX.  Your problems are due to the fact that MS does bizarre things in
its typesetting.

Big Parentheses are rendered as three characters- a "top" cap and
"bottom" cap, with an extendable middle section. Crude, but it works.

Your ellipsis problem is due to the lack of a specific unicode character
on the client side: U+F0BC, which is in the Unicode "Private Use Area"
(see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mapping_of_Unicode_characters#Private_use_characters)

As for the greek letters coming up as squares.. I'm beat.

Why don't you try a web-based LaTeX math renderer?  For instance, your
first big parentheses problem could be solved by entering this:

\begin{displaymath}
\frac{ mN \left ( 2 - 3 \dfrac{m}{N} - \dfrac{1}{N} \right )}
      { N^2 \left ( 1-\dfrac{m}{N}\right )
        \left (1-\dfrac{(m+1)}{N}\right )}
= \frac{2m}{N}
\end{displaymath}

into here:

http://hausheer.osola.com/latex2png

to get this (attached).

If you want to solve this problem using other means than TeX, it is
probably better to look elsewhere.

Ellipsis in LaTeX math mode is \ldots , by the way; greek letters are
such as \Alpha, \alpha, \Beta, \beta, ...

You're lucky I'm avoiding work right now.

Cheers,
-Brandon