[texhax] dsfont with XeLaTeX and Acrobat Reader

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Thu Jul 15 15:23:05 CEST 2010

Hi all,

I am having some problems using the dsfont package. The following example works fine for pdfLaTeX:

\documentclass{minimal}
\usepackage{dsfont}
\begin{document}
$\mathds{R}$
\end{document}

I get a nice |R. Using the same example with XeLaTeX, I get this |R, too, in the output of the TeXworks editor. However, viewing the pdf with Adobe Reader, I get an error message that tells me (translation follows):

„Die eingebettete Schrift "YMQMHAX+dsrom10" konnte nicht entnommen werden. Einige Zeichen werden u.U. nicht korrekt angezeigt bzw. gedruckt.“

(The embedded font "..." could not be extracted. Some symbols might not be shown or printed correctly.)

I am not on my home machine right now so I’m sorry I cannot provide more testing. Nevertheless, a fellow student (Dan) had these problems (he needs to use XeTeX for his document) when sending the pdf to other students.

The system here is a (not fully up to date) TeXlive 2009, Windows XP, Adobe Reader 9. Dan was using an up-to-date TL2010, so the problem seems to persist.

I would be happy if anyone could explain this strange behaviour to me – why doesn’t XeTeX embed a font pdfTeX does embed? …

cheers
Arno