[texhax] Scientific Word documents

Michael Barr barr at math.mcgill.ca
Thu Jul 8 14:01:50 CEST 2010

I have a colleague who refuses to learn any version of tex.  He uses
Scientific Word.  I had tried an earlier incarnation with a different name
about 25 years ago and found it hard to use and unsatisfactory.  So when
this colleague wanted to submit a paper to my latex-based journal that was
written in SW I was rather apprehensive since it would be my job to get it
in shape.  But I asked him to send me the output file (which is used as an
input to latex) and quite pleasantly surprised to find it to be quite
standard latex.

For example, I expected to find that section heads would be produced by
some combination of \vspace, \bold, a counter, \large, the title and more
\vspace.  No, it was done with \section. And so on, at every point it
seemed to be quite standard latex and I had no problem at all with it.

This probably depends a lot on how the user actually uses it.  I have also
seen papers that were full of roll-your-own formatting that has to be
removed.  Sometimes I send the paper back to the author.  One author
recently decided to state his theorems partly in bold and the rest in
italics.