[texhax] Spanish accent on "i"

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Mon Feb 8 07:47:25 CET 2010

On  7 Feb, 2010, at 22:50, padr0006 at umn.edu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have the following question:
>
> I am trying to write the last name "Rodríguez" (with accented "i") in a LaTex document (book).
>
> 1. The input "Rodr\'{\i}guez" gives the output "Rodr'(i)guez". This was supposed to work and it didn't.
>
> 2. As a test, the input "Rodr\'{a}guez" givs the desire output "Rodráguez".
>
> Anybody knows how can I get the desire accented "i" in case 1.
>
> I am using LaTex in WinEdt.  Do I need an extra package?

That's really weird! And, no, you don't need an extra package to get it right. Rather, I think some package is interfering with the correct (La)TeX behavior. Try just

\documentclass{book}
\begin{document}

Rodr\'{\i}guez

\end{document}

and see if it comes out right. If it does, then try adding one by one the packages you use in your document, until you find the culprit.

Best,

Axel