[texhax] No room for new \count

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Sun Aug 22 05:09:57 CEST 2010

I recently ran into the error "No room for new \count".  I understand that
TeX only has room for 256 counters, but I don't think I'm using this many.
I think, instead, that I have some kind of error in my coding, which has
gotten considerably more complicated in the last few weeks.

I'm using arrayjobx, with many arrays (probably around 20), and a number
of fancy tricks to index into them.  And I'm using multido, with 2 and
sometimes 3 levels of nesting.  Plus a couple of custom styles which use
counters.  But I only declare \newcount 8 times, and they're all at the
base level in style files (never in macros). So I can't imagine how I
could be running out of counters.

Any suggestions as to how I can try to troubleshoot?  What commands other
than \newcount might cause a counter to be allocated?

I can try to produce a minimal example, but as I said, the code I'm
working with has gotten quite complex.

Thanks in advance,
brandon