[texhax] question about TeX FIRST page "footnote"

Pierre MacKay pierre.mackay at comcast.net
Thu Aug 5 20:16:22 CEST 2010

On 08/05/2010 07:01 AM, Paul Isambert wrote:
> Selon "Dr. Daniel Raviv"<ravivd at fau.edu>:
>

>> Dear TeX group,
>>
>> We are done with a paper that we plan to publish, but facing one problem:
>>
>> The authors of the paper decided to be listed in an alphabetical order... the
>> problem is how do we insert a footnote in the FIRST page of the paper that
>> says: "Authors are listed in alphabetical order." (My understanding is that
>> it is not like other footnotes.)

Here is what I use for unnumbered footnotes (acknowledgements, usually)
before footnote one on the first (or to force a note continuation on any
other page).

\long\def\notezero#1{
   \insert\footins{\ADDbaseline=10pt % need a baseline and font
specification here,  These happen to be my way of doing it.
   \eighthalfpoint\noindent{#1}
   \vskip2pt} %A fudge, but it works for me
   \textpoint} % return to the normal text size (My XXXpoint macro is
quite complex, probably more complex than you need

---This is, by the way, a very common convention, preferred by many
editors to the somewhat misleading use of footnote#1 as a vehicle for
acknowledgements.

Pierre MacKay
www.angiolello.net