[texhax] AtBeginDocument in beamer

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Fri Apr 2 21:27:49 CEST 2010

Hi all!

I’m having some trouble using the beamer class and trying to set frames
\AtBeginDocument. A minimal example

\documentclass[]{beamer}

\AtBeginDocument{\frame{test1}}
\begin{document}
\frame{test2}
\end{document}

already shows first problems: The navigation symbols are totally wrong
(at the top of test1, at the bottom of test2).
Ok, in my document I don’t make use of these symbols, but I have some
other effects:

• the footline goes anywhere, but not at the bottom. can be corrected by
using \vspace*
• the headline leaves about 4mm of blank space above it which cannot be
corrected by \vspaces
• \inserttotalframenumber prints just 1 instead of the actual number

The beamer documentation says

• The height of the headline and footline templates is calculated
automatically. This is done by typesetting the templates and then
“having a look” at their heights. This recalculation is done right at
the beginning of the document, after all packages have been loaded and
even after these have executed their \AtBeginDocument initialization.

So I guess I cannot use \AtBeginDocument to print \frames. Does anybody
have an advise how to handle this? I need AtBeginDocument as the first
two frames are generated half-automatically. Is there any internal
feature I can use (which is stable enough to really use it?) or hack it
myself anyhow? I could try to use \AtBeginSection instead but then I’d
have to insert a \section by hand which is useless.

I’d be thankfull for any suggestions,
cheers
Arno