[texhax] alignment of parbox and fbox

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Sep 8 21:56:19 CEST 2009

On 8 September 2009 bill lam wrote:

 > Thanks to Lars, hh, Uwe for help.  I can get a perfect alignment now.
 >
 > I learn latex by reading the book 'A Guide to Latex' by Kopka and Daly
 > (the 1993 edition),  There are no \vphantom or \strut mentioned in that
 > book.  I guess that are new commands introduced later.

Does it describe LaTeX 2e already?  If not, it's worthwhile to
consider to buy a newer book.  If it mentions \documentstyle instead
of \documentclass, it still describes LaTeX 2.09.  I'm wondering
because LaTeX 2e was released in 1994.

BTW, a more general solution to your problem is to write your own macro.

  \newcommand{\myfbox}[1]{\fbox{\vphantom{pX}#1}}

Note that in this example \vphantom contains two characters, one with
a descender and one with an ascender.  The size of descenders might be
different for letters like p, g, j, y,...  but you can put them all
into the argument of \vphantom if you want to be sure.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25