[texhax] Texlive and fonts

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Thu Oct 22 10:36:42 CEST 2009

On  22 Oct, 2009, at 02:56, Henrik Frisk wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 4:24 AM, Axel E. Retif <axel.retif at mac.com>
> wrote:

[...]

>> As you are using TeXLive 2007, I think updmap should update (or
>> create) psfonts_t1.map in /var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/
>> and pdftex_dl14.map in /var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/,
>> with information of your added fonts. Does it?
>
> [...]
>
>> Now ---by any chance would you have an invisible directory called
>> something like .texlive2007 in your $HOME? If so, could you check
>> if inside it there are some psfonts and pdftex map files?
>
> Finally! I started poking around inside the .texlive2007 directory
> and came across a permissions issue. running
>
>  $ chown -R $HOME/.texlive2007/* username
>
> and then a subsequent
>
> $ updmap
>
> Made the fonts available to me.

Glad to know. Now --- updmap can be tricky because you can invoke it as

updmap, which updates the user's map files (within .texlive2007 in
your case); or as

updmap-sys, which updates system-wide map files (within /var/lib/texmf/
fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/ in your case, I think, **if** you have write
permissions to that directory); or as

sudo updmap-sys, which also updates system-wide map files in the
latter directory, but owned by root.

I think maybe sometime you invoked it as ``sudo updmap'', which then
updated the map files inside .texlive2007, but **owned by root**; then
a further simple updmap couldn't update those map files because of the
permissions issue you mention.

Personally, I don't like map files within .texliveXXXX, so I put my
personal fonts in texmf-local (TeXLive 2008), and **always** use
``sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=<font>.map''. But as your setting is
already working, I think you should leave it like that.

Best,

Axel