[texhax] ?encoding? suffices in the TeX Live Adobe font TFMs

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed Oct 21 10:13:49 CEST 2009

Karl Berry wrote:

> You can do reencoding with vp/vf.  But you do not need to.  You can do
> it purely by creating tfm's and pdftex.map entries (psfonts.map for
> dvips).  This is preferable since it is one less file to get wrong, or
> for people using obscure drivers to have trouble with.

Thanks, Karl : I take your point, but surely using VP/VF is more
likely to work regardless of the driver than using PdfTeX.map ?

After all, the latter will work only with PdfTeX (if I understand
correctly), whereas VFs/VPs have been around since 1990 (almost
twenty years) ...

** Phil.