[texhax] a discrepancy ...

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Nov 24 01:58:15 CET 2009

On Nov 23, 2009, at 1:52 PM, JohnLambert wrote:

> Chapter headings software anomaly.
>
> Dear Sirs,
>
> Enclosing herewith for your consideration* a TeX/LaTeX test file which should 'normally' output the same result using either (Mac) BasicTeX 2008/2009 or GWTeX, but happens to signal  a missing (font)-file in the former, while no such error appears in the latter. [I am using TeXShop v. 2.26 as the editor.]
>
> The font in question is Lennys.eps, one of a stack of similar files in the 'fncychap' folder (zip file attached) to produce ... fancy chapter headings. But,
> BasicTeX 2008/9 outputs:
> GWTeX correctly outputs:
>
> Is this a bug in the BasicTex software or a different placing of files we should be aware of. How could a correction be made?
>
> [Using MacOS 10.4.11 -> on G4; not tried thus far using MacOS 10.6.2 although the system is installed (Mac-Mini 2009-I). Still trying to find a place to put that 19" monitor!! We all have shortcomings ...]
>
> Looking forward to hearing from you;
> Greetings from Sydney:
>
> JL

Howdy,

1)maybe you should report this on MacTeX-Support, <http://www.tug.org/mactex/2009/support/emailform/>.

2)The BasicTeX distribution is a minimal distribution while gwTeX was based on teTeX (no linger supported) with some extensions. One might very well expect that there are differences. In this case the fancychap package wants to use helvetica (phv) which may not be supplied with the BasicTeX package. Since you supply the fancychap package I assume it also is not part of BasicTeX.

You might consider downloading and installing the full MacTeX-2009 package (MUCH larger) but it has the fancychap package installed and support for Helvetica (look alike?).

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)