[texhax] hyperref

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Nov 12 22:50:20 CET 2009

On 11 November 2009 Barbara Beeton wrote:

 >     [...] In between two equations it is taking more space, if i
 >     use the hyperref package.
 >
 > this is unrelated to hyperref.  [...]

Hi Barbara,
the hyperref package can influence formatting indeed.  The reason is
that it inserts whatsit nodes (\pdfliteral is implemented like
\special).  Whatsits have an impact on formatting.  I'm not familiar
with these things, but when I encountered such a problem a few years
ago, Thanh told me that this is desired behavior and that it is
mentioned somewhere in the TeXbook.

A solution could be to always use hyperref and use the draft option if
its functionality is not desired.  hyperref then hopefully inserts
empty whatsits, but it would be nice if somebody can confirm this
statement.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25