[texhax] New Bibtex style needed for citing datasets

Steve Schwartz s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Nov 3 01:28:09 CET 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 13:17 +0000, Philip G. Ratcliffe wrote:
> > I'm attempting to create a new bibtex style that includes
> > support for data.  I think I can create the style but am
> > having difficulty figuring out how to have the *.bst file
> > found when I refer to it in a \bibliographystyle(cca.bst) statement.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me how to refer to a non-standard *.bst file?
> >  For example, I tried
> >
> > \bibliographystyle('/Users/hellyj/cca.bst')
>
> Well, it's hardly a complete path, is it?

... snip ....

> In either case you must use the wizard provided (I'm afraid I can't remember
> what it's called under Linux) to make sure the new files added are known to
> the system - and then update the filename database (this last step is
> important).
>
> Cheers,  Phil

Under *nix (and there must be something similar for windows) if you
can't update the tex installation, or otherwise want to do things as an
individual user, you can set environment variables to tell tex where to
look. In my .cshrc for example I have:

setenv SJSLATEX /fat/localtexmf/sjslatex
setenv TEXINPUTS .:{$SJSLATEX}//:
#  the "." is the current directory
#  the "//" should descend recursively
# The trailing ":" includes the standard distribution stuff in texmf
setenv BSTINPUTS .:{$TEXINPUTS}:
setenv BIBINPUTS .:{$TEXINPUTS}:

I think all these are setup initially in a texmf.cnf file. This method
encourages you to be lazy and sloppy and just throw everything you find
into a single folder, but it is then easy for individual users to do
themselves.

Steve
Professor Steven J Schwartz        Phone: +44-(0)20-7594-7660
Head, Space & Atmospheric Physics  Fax:   +44-(0)20-7594-7900
The Blackett Laboratory            E-mail: s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Imperial College London            Office: Huxley 6M67A
London SW7 2AZ, U.K.               Web: www.sp.ph.ic.ac.uk/~sjs