[texhax] Ubuntu editors for TeX

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Thu May 28 19:32:48 CEST 2009

On  28 May, 2009, at 08:00, Lars Madsen wrote:

> Martin Schröder wrote:
>> 2009/5/28, Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de>:
>>> Poppler is a derivative of Xpdf.  But obviously less reliable.
>> Why is that obvious?
>
> because it was mentioned ealier that the test file displays
> correctly in xpdf, but then again, as far as I know the current xpdf
> relies on libpoppler

After my yesterday message, I sent another that didn't reach the list:

--------
On  27 May, 2009, at 12:30, Axel E. Retif wrote:

> [...] I just checked fontspec.pdf in
>
> /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/doc/xelatex/fontspec/fontspec.pdf
>
> with Evince [Document Viewer 2.26.1, using poppler 0.10.5],
> TeXworks' (just compiled from source) built-in PDF viewer and Xpdf.
> The first two show missing characters (for example, in page 3). Xpdf
> shows the whole document OK.

I should say that was under Ubuntu 9.04 and TeXLive 08.

Now ---this is weird--- I just checked under Fedora 10 with TeXLive
07, and

/usr/share/texmf/doc/xelatex/fontspec/fontspec.pdf

doesn't show missing characters with Evince:

Document Viewer 2.24.2
Document Viewer.
Using poppler 0.8.7 (cairo)

Best,