[texhax] le vs leq and \ZZ vs \Z

Yannis Haralambous yannis.haralambous at telecom-bretagne.eu
Mon May 25 20:58:17 CEST 2009

Le 25 mai 09 à 09:59, Konstantin Ziegler a écrit :

> to typeset integers.  While the second one is shorter, a friend of
> mine
> warned by about one-letter-macros labelling them "bad style".  Do
> you agree?

I will give you a real example of what happened two weeks ago:

In a journal of the Société Mathématique de France there is the
following convention: at the end of every paper there is the sentence
"Article reçu le ??, accepté le ??" (meaning: paper received on
(date), accepted on (other date)).

One author has innocently defined \c to be \mathbb{C} (or even
\ensuremath{\mathbb{C}}, I don't remember).

Result: the sentence was scrambled since the ç or "reçu" internally
calls the cedilla macro \c and this was the name the author gave to
his new macro...

And this happened without even an error message...  :-|

yh