[texhax] \marginpars on left

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Sat Mar 7 22:00:33 CET 2009

At 14:48 07.03.09, Michael Barr wrote:
>I have been trying to get \marginpars to print all on the left (in a
>two-sided style).  It appears to me that
>\newcommand\xlabel[1]{\marginpar[#1]{}\label{#1}}
>should do it, but it actually prints nothing on odd numbered pages.

The mandatory argument of \marginpar is typeset on right pages, unless
\reversemarginpar.

>Is there an easy way of doing this?

Kernel LaTeX seems not to support this, but marginal.sty from sttools seems
to do it with \onesidemarginals (not tested).

You may need the feature at first lines of paragraphs only, you could then
start such a paragraph with \xlabel and something like

     \newcommand\xlabel[1]{%
         \llap{#1\hspace\marginparsep}%
         \label{#1}\ignorespaces}

Cheers,