[texhax] \ldots v. \cdots

Pierre MacKay pierre.mackay at comcast.net
Mon Mar 2 19:30:07 CET 2009

>Indeed, I think this depends on which side of the pond you happen to be
>writing: all American sources appear to suggest a four-dot version.
>However, at schoold in England I was taught never to use four dots; this
>page
>http://publications.europa.eu/code/en/en-4100100en.htm
>and, I believe, the Oxford Guide to Style suggest the same.
>
>Cheers,  Phil

So that explains it.  This is one instance where Unicode fonts do not
usually help much, because
the normal ellipsis character in the General Punctuation page looks very
bad with regular type.  It is much too tight.
It looks even worse, of course when a three-dot ellipsis is either
preceded or followed by a full stop.
The house style I set for is fairly firm about the four-dot ellipsis for
sentence end, and the ellipsis
abuts the text immediately, with no interword space.

I set a four-language journal (potentially five, since Latin is
recognized, although never used) and these national
considerations can be quite fascinating.  Em-dash with or without
interword spaces, for instance and, even
more odd to a north American eye,  em-dash followed by interword space
and punctuation.

Pierre MacKay