[texhax] \ldots v. \cdots

Phil Parker phil at math.wichita.edu
Sun Mar 1 13:16:35 CET 2009

On 03/01/2009 at 01:57 PM, Lars Madsen <daleif at imf.au.dk> wrote:

>BTW: someone talked about a fourdots macro, doesn't four dots at the end of
>a sentence look odd? I usually see three dots at the end of a sentence in
>the same way as a dot, i.e. end of sentence, no need to an extra dot.

In a direct quote, if one leaves out the last part of a complete sentence, the beginning fragment should end with four dots: the first three are the ellipsis, indicating the omission, and the last is the period, indicating how much was omitted.

Such are much more common in literary and philosophical works than in math or science.

--
    Phil Parker
URL http://www.math.wichita.edu/~pparker/