[texhax] \ldots v. \cdots

Pierre MacKay pierre.mackay at comcast.net
Sun Mar 1 06:02:34 CET 2009

Phil Parker wrote:

>On 03/01/2009 at 01:09 AM, "P. R. Stanley" <prstanley at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>

>>I've come across both \ldots and \cdots in typesetting series in \sum  -- \{1
>>+ 2 + 3 + ldots + n\}. What would the list recommend?
>>

>In mathematics, in the example you give, \cdots is preferred as the dots should be aligned with the operation signs (+ in this case).
>
>\ldots is usually reserved for lists, as in the components of an n-tuple (x_1, x_2, \ldots, x_n).

Perhaps the mopst important use of \ldots, for non-mathematical
compositors like me, is to produce a three-dot ellipsis that harmonizes
with the typeface you happen to be using.  I have written a \fourdots
macro to provide the same predictable ellipsis spacing at the end of a
sentence.  If anyone is interested I will send it on.

Pierre MacKay