[texhax] overfull lines, hyphenation - setup for automatic processing

james mourton mourtonj at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 6 15:30:09 CEST 2009

Hi,

I'd like to generate documentation from various XML sources
and create a PDF output using TeX (preferably ConTeXt, possibly LaTeX).
I need the system to run automatically, without user interaction.

By default, if TeX does not know how to hyphenate words and break lines
nicely, it leaves it to the user.

Could you please advise, how to tell TeX not to be so fussy
and rather work reliably -- no overfulls or other errors, even if the result
is not "perfect"? (the "manuscript" is generated, so I don't care
how complicated or unreadable it is)

1) Making larger gaps
How can I set it up, shall I redefine
\tolerance and \emergencystretch ? To what values? What is the scope of the
settings?
Is there any other important option?

2) Hyphenation
Is there any way how to fall-back to more aggressive hyphenation rules
if the default algorithm fails?
If the word is unbreakable, could TeX just tear off the extra letters it and
put them to the next line?
(I could theoretically put \discretionary to every word, but I'd prefer TeX
to use its own algorithms first)

3) Error reporting
Another issue is, that texexec
creates very ugly table (\bTABLE) with overlapping text in the cells,
but does not report any problem.
Is there any way how to make it fail loudly, so the problems can
be detected?

I'm using: ConTeXt
   TeXExec version 6.2.1
   pdfTeX 3.1415926-1.40.10-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.7)
   Linux i386 Centos-5

Kind Regards

James