[texhax] description of text in {\tt }

P. R. Stanley prstanley at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 27 21:08:06 CET 2009

>can you tell us, please, what kinds of documentation
>would you find helpful?  quite a few readers of this
>list are responsible for documentation, and maybe we
>(and others in turn) can benefit from your point of view.

Hello Barbara
Thanks for the explanation.

My favourite LaTeX documentation would contain more words describing
the physical effect of the commands in specific packages. I
appreciate that LaTeX is mainly concerned with the logical layout of
the document, hence its appeal to a lot of blind people, however, for
those of us who want to do more than typesetting articles it would be
amply useful to have a visual perspective of the end result in PDF or
DVI, the rationale being that we can then decide when and where to
introduce that \tt, mbox or ... command.
This is a much more pressing problem with other more visual subsets
of LaTeX such as the XY package. Currently, there is no accessible
tool for producing mathematical drawings except XY. The only obstacle
to it becoming the de facto typsetting tool for blind people is the
lack of comprehensible tutorials with text that is independent of the
visual illustrations.
I hope that gives you a clearer idea of the situation.
Please let me know if I can contribute towards the creation of more
blind accessible documentation.
Cheers
Paul