[texhax] positioning of floats

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI eduardo at kalinowski.com.br
Sun Jan 4 12:01:09 CET 2009

debian wrote:
> Please,
>
> I am using texlive 2008, trying to \includegraphics lots of musical snippets.
>
> Essentially my code consists of;
>
> fig 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..... 15 clearpage
>
> This is working ok, but latex seems to always print the figures in exactly
> that sequence.
>
> I was hoping that it might do things like:
>
> fig 3, 1, 5, 4, 13, ......
>
> so as to maximise the use of paper.
>
> Perhaps I am misunderstanding, or doing something else wrong.
>
> Can latex look on up its queque of floats and decide "ah, I can fit
> number 12 in here" ?

I don't think this is possible, at least not without major rewriting of
the float code. One of the basic functionalities of latex floats is that
they appear in the order they were declared.

--
"Plastic gun.  Ingenious.  More coffee, please."
		-- The Phantom comics

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo at kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb