[texhax] Changing \skip\footins locally

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Wed Feb 11 22:32:00 CET 2009

On  11 Feb, 2009, at 05:12, Yannis Haralambous wrote:

> I would like to fit an extra line of text in a specific page with
> footnotes. When I attempt to change \skip\footins on that page only,
> it has no effect whatsoever. I realized that only when I change \skip
> \footins in the LaTeX preamble it has some effect on the typeset
> result.
>
> How can I change locally (for one page only) the blank space between
> text and footnote so that I can fit an additional line of text on
> that page, without changing footnote behaviour for the rest of the
> document?

Start a group ({) *before* the first footnote in that page (and I
would \protect'ed anyway).

{\protect\setlength{\skip\footins}{2pt}% <- adjust to your needs
<Paragraph with first footnote in page\footnote{...}>

<Paragraph *after* text in said page>% <- you might need to experiment
}% <-close group

I would be very careful as to how the rest of the chapter behaves.

Best,

Axel

P.S. I do use manyfoot as well.