[texhax] Migrating from Windows to Mac

Tom Backer Johnsen backer at psych.uib.no
Mon Dec 14 22:05:22 CET 2009

Herbert Schulz wrote:
> On Dec 14, 2009, at 2:14 PM, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

>>> Yes, it is some conversion issue.  If I enter a trivial document using
>>> the keyboard, it compiles all right, but it does not work with files
>>> coming from the Windows machine.
>>>
>> If it's a line-endings problem you shouldn't get an "undefined control
>> sequence" error message if the \documentclass command is the very first
>> thing LaTeX reads.
>>
>> Please send us your .log file.
>>
>> I can't believe that there is a line-endings problem.  It's the first
>> time I hear that pure ASCII files are not portable among different
>> ports of TeX.
>>
>> Regards,
>>  Reinhard
>>

> Howdy,
>
> I doubt it's a line ending problem. I taken files generated on a PC and even OLD files from my old TeXtures distribution on Mac OS 8--9, which used \r for newlines, and compiled them directly under Mac OS X which uses *nix line endings.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

That is what others have suggested as well.  Barbara Beeton suggested
that I used TeX rather than LaTex, which is probably the case.  See my
response to her.  In any case, it is getting quite late here in Norway
and we are having guests as well, so I'll quit for tonight. Thank you
all for useful suggestions.  I am in any case getting closer to what I
want to achieve, establishing myself in a more stable and predictable
world than Windows.  So thanks so far.

Tom