[texhax] Migrating from Windows to Mac

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Dec 14 21:14:25 CET 2009

On 14 December 2009 Tom Backer Johnsen wrote:

 > Oleg Katsitadze wrote:
 > > Hi Tom,
 > >
 > > On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 20:34:31 +0100, Tom Backer Johnsen <backer at psych.uib.no> said:
 > >
 > >> I am in the process of migrating from Windows XP to a MacBook Pro
 > >> (Snow Leopard), and have simply copied a number of files from the
 > >> Windows XP machine to the Mac Via an external hard disk and a memory
 > >> stick. I then find that files which compile (to PDF) perfectly OK on
 > >> the Windows machine give me an error message on the very first line,
 > >> the \documentclass one gives me an error message: undefined control
 > >> sequence.
 > >>

 > > This is probably a line endings problem.  There must be a program on
 > > your system which converts the line endings, try fromdos, dos2unix,
 > > flip, toix.
 > >
 > > HTH,
 > > Oleg
 > >
 > Yes, it is some conversion issue.  If I enter a trivial document using
 > the keyboard, it compiles all right, but it does not work with files
 > coming from the Windows machine.

If it's a line-endings problem you shouldn't get an "undefined control
sequence" error message if the \documentclass command is the very first
thing LaTeX reads.

Please send us your .log file.

I can't believe that there is a line-endings problem.  It's the first
time I hear that pure ASCII files are not portable among different
ports of TeX.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25