[texhax] hello "support"...

Susan Dittmar Susan.Dittmar at gmx.de
Tue Dec 8 11:03:08 CET 2009

Hi,

Quoting Sanaranalek Darmor (aksr.1111 at gmail.com):
> i'm working on the project for my job and...i don't know why this part of
> the code won't compile:
>
> [*] userinput @ 0x80498d0: testing\\
> [*] outputfile @ 0x80498e8: /tmp/notes\\
> [*] distance between: 24\\
> tex help is telling me to find in the texbook(part weird errors)..:
> ! Missing number, treated as zero.
>
> <to be read again>
>
> *
>
> l.1045 [*]
>
> userinput @ 0x80498d0: testing\\
> my question is how can i write the code, that it appers like this:
>
> ---DEBUG--
> [*] userinput @ 0x80498d0: testing
> [*] outputfile @ 0x80498e8: /tmp/notes
> [*] distance between: 24
> ----------

perhaps my crystal ball works today...
I guess the problem is the brackets ([..]) after a manual linebreak (\\)
They are interpreted as part of the linebreaking command, giving some (I
think additional) distance between lines. Try one of the following
workarounds

- use \\[0pt] instead of \\, giving the optional argument.
  I do not know if 0pt is the correct value though. But I am sure someone
  on this list can provide the correct value.

- use {[*]} instead of [*]. It does not change the output, but (La)TeX will
  know the angular brackets are not this optional argument to \\

- use \\ {} instead of \\
  This introduces an empty token and might -- I do not know (La)TeX's
  internalls well enough to know this -- introduce additional white space,
  but it might look better to human eyes in the source code.

Hope this helps,

	Susan