[texhax] Can't install tex on my PC

Vafa Khalighi vafa at users.berlios.de
Sun Aug 30 03:55:43 CEST 2009

Hi Betty

>From your last email, I understand that you have installed TeXLive 2008 but
you have got a TeX file and you do not know how to to latex it for instance,
right? You just need an editor.

My first suggestion would be to try MiKTeX 2.8 because it comes with the
editor (called TeXWorks) and everything is ready to use out of the box. You
can download it from http://miktex.org/2.8/setup. Download and install the
basic version and you should be able to do your work. But I guess you will
need to uninstall TeXLive 2008 before installing MiKTeX 2.8.

My second suggestion is if you do not want to use MiKTeX and want to stay
with TeXLive, you need to install an editor and then configure your editor.
There are lots of TeX editor on the web, so you can actually search and see
which one suits you.

NoTe; TeXLive and MiKTeX are two TeX distributions.

Best wishes,
Vafa