[texhax] Colorful LaTeX Terminal Output

Oleg Katsitadze olegkat at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 01:40:44 CEST 2009

Hi Christopher,

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:37:29PM -0400, Christopher Olah wrote:
> It occurs to me that a LaTeX package that gives colorful output would
> be nice. However, I can't figure out how to get LaTeX to print . I've
> played around a little using \typeout and \message with \noexpand and
> \special, to no success.

You can try processing this (test.tex, all characters are ASCII)

    \message{This text in ^^1b[31mred^^1b[0m.}
    \bye

with the command

    tex -translate-file=./esc.tcx test.tex

placing the attached file (esc.tcx) in the same directory with
test.tex.

> I'm also curious to hear what others think of this idea.

I think that nowadays people mostly use text editors to run TeX, and
those editors probably never process the color escapes in the output.
So most users will just see junk in their output.  But as a local hack
for a specific use this seems like a cool idea :).

Best,
Oleg