[texhax] European quotation marks

Rodolfo Medina rodolfo.medina at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 12:58:45 CEST 2009

Ulrike Fischer <news3 at nililand.de> writes:

> [...] you can use the ligatures << and >>:
>
> \font\test=texnansi-lmr10\test
>
> << abc >>
> \bye

First I got the following:

 ! Font \test=texnansi-lmr10 not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not found.

, then I fetched somewhere the file texnansi-lmr10.tfm and put it in the
present directoy, and now this seems to work:

\pdfmapfile{+lm-texnansi.map}

\font\test=texnansi-lmr10\test

<<abc>>

\bye

, but only with pdftex.  No way to have it also with `tex'?

Another question: how do you input « and »?  I have no such character on my
italian keyboard, I input it with copy and paste.

Thanks
Rodolfo