[texhax] A LaTeX interpreter to turn LaTeX into more LaTeX/TeX ?

Erik Norvelle signups2 at norvelle.org
Thu Apr 2 11:40:31 CEST 2009

Greetings all,

I am currently looking at ways of integrating the functionality of the
Biblatex package (a natbib/jurabib replacement) into the latex2rtf
project.  Specifically, I would like to take advantage of the powerful
bibliography and citation formatting capacities that Biblatex offers,
without re-implementing the entire Biblatex package in C (which is how
latex2rtf currently emulates natbib and jurabib capabilities).

What I would like to do is be able to run a LaTeX interpreter on my
TeX file, but instead of producing a PDF/DVI output, it would produce
another LaTeX output, which I can then capture in order to extract the
formatted citations and the bibliography.  As things currently stand,
Biblatex does not produce a file with a formatted bibliography or
citations, but produces all of these on the fly, during the process of
producing the PDF/DVI output.  As a result, there are no left over aux-
type files that contain the information that I need.

Basically, what I need is some way to complete "expand" a typical
LaTeX file into something more basic, even raw TeX, if that were the
only option.  So far, however, I have not found anything.  All of the
engines I am familiar with produce some other kind of output (PDF,
DVI, HTML, etc.).  I've spend a good amount of time search online and
reading manuals, and so far have come up empty-handed.

Is what I am looking for possible?  Thanks for any help you can offer.
-Erik Norvelle