[texhax] TexLive 2008

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 08:18:47 CEST 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 12:03 AM, Phillip E. Parker
<phil at math.wichita.edu> wrote:

> On 09/24/2008 at 12:34 AM, Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote:
>

>>what you say is pure crap.  Sorry.  Do you really need the ISO image? The
>>preferred way to install TeX Live is to use the network installer.
>

> And there's precisely the kind of self-righteously arrogant ignorance that
> makes some people never want to express themselves in public again. (In
> another variant, it makes Kansas such a terrible place in which to live.)
>
> The choice of a highly *nonstandard* compression/decompression algorithm
> little used outside the *nix coterie typifies the worst stereotypes of "my
> way or the highway" *nix users. (The arXiv suffered from this until Cornell
> humanized it somewhat.)

I am not sure why Reinhard decided to demonstrate his rather limited
knowledge of English 4-letter words and definitely do not condone this
demo but I suspect that time spent to protest the usage of lzma would
be enough not only to install and learn how to use it but also to
study the whole algorithm in the details

PS I am thankful to TL team for forcing me to install highly effective
compression algorithm to my Mac