[texhax] eps, pdf, graphix

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Thu Nov 13 23:46:41 CET 2008

On Nov 13, 2008, at 11:34, Uwe Lueck wrote:

> "Axel E. Retif" <axel.retif at mac.com> schrieb am 13.11.2008 08:09:40:
>> \documentclass{ua-thesis}
>> \usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx}
>>
>> is enough to see the included graphics ---only be sure not to use the
>> draft option; that is,
>>
>> \documentclass[draft]{ua-thesis}
>>                  ^
>> be sure not to use it like this.
>
> Can't the confinement to ua-thesis be dropped, and
> \usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx}
> suffices to see the graphics? At least don't call any draft option?

Right. First, I thought that ua-thesis was calling the draft option by
default, so an explicit final option was necessary; but it turns out I
was wrong ---ua-thesis doesn't call draft option *and* the final
options adds things you really don't want, unless you're actually
presenting your work to the University of Arizona.

The thing is ua-tesis is old ---1997, a time of slower processors, and
the examples you find tell you to use the draft option, which back
then I think saved a lot of processing time. So maybe Per was
typesetting with the draft option on, and that's why his graphics
didn't show up.

Best,

Axel