[texhax] font thickness

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 18:35:48 CEST 2008

On Sat, 7 Jun 2008, K A Navas wrote:

> Please clarify my doubt. I am an author of tech books and a professor.
> The letters of the pdf output is very thin. Press people say that the
> plates for offset printing should change frequently if the thickness is
> not improved. This is very expensive.
> In spite of the command at preamble
> \fontencoding{0T1}\fontfamily{cmr}\fontseries{ebux}\fontshape{n} it does
> not work.

"Since having a high quality font set in scalable outline form that works
with TeX can give a publisher a real competitive advantage, there are some
publishers that have paid (a lot) to have such font sets made for them.
Unfortunately, these sets are not available on the open market, despite
the likelihood that they’re more complete than those that are."(UK TeX FAQ):

I suspect very few math books get long enough runs for durability of
plates to be an issue.  Computer Modern was designed to be light, so you
need to use a different set of fonts.  There are only a few free
alternatives. See:

<http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/mathfonts.html> (free)

<http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=psfchoice>

Lucida Bright is not free but also not expensive.  If you can wait, the
free STIX fonts are "coming soon".

--
George N. White III  <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>