[texhax] Punctuation around inline diagrams

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Fri Jul 4 16:54:03 CEST 2008

Dear list,

I have a problem that needs a little careful explanation as follows.

Within my text I use diagrams as if they were words. Each diagram is a
small iconic box corresponding to a software object. I will refer to them
here as {object}.

Where an {object} is followed by a comma or period and is typeset so that
it appears at the end of a line, the punctuation often appears at the start
of the next line. Example:

----
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur....so using this method the {object},
which contains the code, will be created automatically. Ut enim ad minim
veniam, quis nostrud exercitation....

will be typeset as

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur....so using this method the {object}
, which contains the code, will be created automatically. Ut enim ad minim
veniam, quis nostrud exercitation....

-----

I would like to bind any comma, semicolon or period more tightly to the {object}
or increase the penalty for starting a line with punctuation.

Thankyou for any suggestions.

Andy Farnell

--
Use the source