[texhax] Combining symbols (vertical placement of characters)

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Tue Dec 30 23:58:02 CET 2008

At 20:32 29.12.08, John Palmer wrote:
>On Monday 29 December 2008 03:54:11 Daniel Freedman wrote:
> > position a bullet over the arrowhead
>
>I have done this sort of thing by using \raisebox for vertical and \kern for
>horizontal movement, but there must be a more robust and elegant way, so I'll
>be interested in other replies !

If you really want to compose (running just TeX) new glyphs from existing
ones, you should know how the latter were designed (and how they are coded
in METAFONT), in terms of font dimensions, cf. TeXbook p. 433/447; or of
the height of `(' (\mathstrut) ... and in your macros, you should refer to
these (\fontdimen, ...) [I can't tell details here]. Referring to such
dimensions would be better than trying various numbers ... Replacing the
arrowhead with a bullet, you should refer to the height and width of the
box enclosing the diagonal stroke and to the width of the bullet and the
height of its center (I guess it's axis_height according to TeXbook p.
447). Don't forget \mathpalette ...

But John: I wonder whether you are asking about creating new glyphs or just
about placing one character over another. The latter task usually requires
dimensions of enclosing boxes only; it can be performed through one-column
``tables'' (\oalign) or through the \accent primitive (depends ...). Are
you thinking of specific examples that have bothered you?

HTH -- Uwe.