[texhax] Graphics with plain teX

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Aug 3 23:01:10 CEST 2008

Ludwig Mises wrote:

> I've been searching for a way to typeset graphics in plain teX and
> haven't really found much documentation on doing so.  Is this pretty
> much black magic, or a lost art?  Are there any pointers for doing so
> or even a howto that covers this?  I found the teTeX howto, but it
> seemed to revert to laTeX when it came to graphics.  Maybe the only
> option in plain teX is to leave a blank box where the graphic is
> intended to go?
>
> Any suggestions/help are appreciated.

Well, I use (almost) exclusively Plain TeX,
and here is how I include my signature
(as a JPEG) at the bottom of my correspondence :

	Yours sincerely
	\vskip +1\baselineskip
	\setbox 0 = \hbox {\pdfximage width 60 mm {Philip-Taylor.jpg}\pdfrefximage \pdflastximage}
	\box 0
	\vskip -1\baselineskip
	Philip Taylor
	\end

This does, of course, rely on PdfTeX rather than
TeX proper, but I haven't used real TeX for some
years ...

Philip TAYLOR