[texhax] Hyphenation in the age of web names

Jay Hammond homemade at talktalk.net
Wed Oct 31 00:07:45 CET 2007

On 30 Oct 2007 at 13:30, Steve Peter wrote:

> On Oct 30, 2007, at 1:26 PM, Philip Taylor (Webmaster) wrote:
>
> > 1) As it occurs "hundreds of times", you must already
> > be representing it within your document using a control
> > word.
>
> As I said, I am the typesetter, not the author, so that approach
> would involve search and replace.

This is true, but search and replace is deterministic. I'm aware of
gotcha's with it, but I have (successfully) done global S&R on
books/theses I  typeset to allow just such tweaks.

For example I used macros to express context sensitive diacritics
where the author used a fixed string in all contexts but wanted to
see the diacritics vary according to which aspect of the dictionary
entry they appeared in: - name, definition, etymology, source etc.

For that book, I found it hard to construct the context sensitive
macros, but the conversion of the source text did not create
problems. And Phil has kindly written the macro for you. So I believe
you have a good solution.

> Steve

Jay Hammond
homemade at homemade.free-online.co.uk